Saturday, May 18

Khawas scores late to help Army register first win

By a Staff Reporter

Kathmandu – Skipper Bharat Khawas scored the winner five minutes from time on Sunday as Tribhuvan Army Club registered their first win in the ongoing Martyrs Memorial A Division League.

The late goal from Khawas was enough to sink Brigade Boys Club (BBC) at the Dasharath Stadium to light up the stadium in otherwise a drab affair. Army had played a 1-1 draw against Nepal Police Club in their first match and a goalless stalemate against Machhindra FC prior to this match.

On Sunday, both teams failed to make any impressive efforts to score during most of the match. However, Army kept BBC under pressure towards the end of the match and were rewarded for their relentless effort.

Army had made a bright start to the game as skipper Khawas found a pass from Gautam Shrestha in the penalty area the first minute of the match. However, he failed to capitalize on the opportunity and could not pass on the ball to George Prince Karki. On the other end, Sishir Lekhi’s free kick in the 27th minute went wide denying BBC from taking the lead.

Similarly, BBC goalkeeper punched a shot fired by Bikash Tamang from a through ball fed by Gautam Shrestha in the 57th minute. Army could have taken the lead in the 61st minute but Manoj Rai foiled an attempt made by Bikash Basnet by clearing the ball from the goal-line. A minute later, an attempt to chip in by Tek Bahadur Budhathoki in a pass from Santosh Tamang skied off the bar.

 BBC goalkeeper failed to react when Khawas, who received a pass from Santosh Tamang, beat the offside trap and scored in the 85th minute in a one-versus-one situation. Although Army piled pressure on BBC towards the end, they were unable to extend their lead.

It was the first league defeat of BBC. In their first match, BBC had beaten APF 3-1 while they had played a goalless draw against NRT in their second match.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *