Friday, May 24

FC Chitwan Get Their First-Ever NSL Victory

By a Staff Reporter

Kathmandu (HamroKhelkud) – FC Chitwan have registered their first win in Nepal Super League (NSL) history. Chitwan, who finished the first edition winless, have registered their first win ever in the third match of the second edition.

Chitwa defeated Birgunj United FC 2-1 thanks to goals from their iconic player, Bimal Gharti Magar and midfielder Torric Jebrin. Aikins Baffour scored one for Birgunj. 

Chitwan, who were left disappointed in the previous two matches, losing one and drawing one, had upped their performance against Birgunj today. Torric, one of the goalscorers, who hadn’t performed as he’d have liked in the first two matches, also put in a wonderful performance. 

Birgunj had the first chance of their match go their way. William Opoku’s free-kick in the fourth minute couldn’t go past the wall. Torric’s effort from the right-hand side of the post in the eight-minute flew over the bar. Chitwan striker Rafiq Aminu’s weak-footed attempt in the 13th minute didn’t have enough force in it. 

Birgunj marquee and goalkeeper Deep Karki punched Torric’s free-kick away in the 23rd minute. Two minutes later, Tej Tamang looked indecisive after dribbling past Chitwan right-back Chhiring Gurung and shot wide of the post. 

Chitwan, on the other hand, had better of the chances and took the lead in the 28th minute through their iconic player Bimal Gharti Magar. Roshan Rana Magar’s through-ball from behind the halfway line cut the Birgunj defense in half and was met by Bimal, who had enough composure to go around Deep and score on an unguarded goalpost. 

Birgunj’s holding midfielder Sudip Gurung’s cross in the 30th minute was easily gathered by Chitwan shot-stopper Bishal Shrestha. Tej Tamang was the next to come close to scoring when his left-footed effort went wide. 

Torric was the center of every attack Chitwan were sewing in the first half. Aminu’s effort from a Torric pass was parried away by Deep but Aminu was already flagged offside when Bimal failed to tap in on the rebound. 

The second half wasn’t any different. Chitwan continued to create with Torric at the helm of their attacks. His cross in the 47th minute, though, couldn’t find any of his teammates. Birgunj substitute Yubraj Khadka went through on goal in the 49th minute but couldn’t meet Bhison Gurung’s through-ball before Bishal collected it at the edge of the box. 

Birgunj made the score level in the 55th minute. Aikins Baffour headed home an corner from Opoku to get his side back in the game. But even after conceding the goal, Chitwan attempted to keep the ball and create chances to take the lead once against. Afriye Acquah’s hit from outside the box was saved by Deep in the 56th minute.  

Yubraj failed to meet an Opoku cross with a header in the 65th minute. Diwakari Chaudhary’s cross a minute later also failed to find his teammate.

Chitwan restored their lead in the 68th minute of the match. Torric Jebrin laced a menacing hit from outside the box to the far corner to hand Chitwan the lead in the match for a second time. But after that, the match had many stoppages due to injuries and clear chances weren’t created by both sides. Chitwan, who had to share points, even after breaking the deadlock in the 86th minute managed to hold on to the lead against Birgunj today.

Chitwan have four points from three matches with one win, one draw and one loss while Birgunj have failed to gather any points in their two matches.

Two matches will be held in the NSL tomorrow. Jhapa FC will look to avenge their loss in the first match by taking on Pokhara Thunders at 1 PM while Lalitpur City FC will take on Dhangadhi FC in the 5:30 PM kickoff. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *